Categorized | News

Fire burns Kaumana home, may have started from citronella candle

Fire/rescue responded to a 9:08 p.m. alarm Thursday (Dec 3) to 322 Ainako Avenue in Hilo for a structure fire.

Crews arrived to find heavy smoke and flames coming out of the windows of the back bedrooms of a three bedroom home. Firefighters had the fire under control by 9:15 p.m. and out at 9:30 p.m. containing the blaze to the two rear bedrooms.

A 32-year-old woman and two children aged nine and seven-years-old escaped the fire and took shelter at a neighbor’s home. Traffic was blocked on Ainako Avenue and detoured to Kaumana Drive to Waianuenue Avenue.

The fire may have started from an unattended lit citronella candle in the bedroom being used to repel mosquitoes according to a fire dispatch report.

The damage to the home was estimated to be $250,000 with $100,000 saved. There were no injured reported in the blaze.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Become a fan on facebook

 

Quantcast
%d bloggers like this: