Categorized | Education

Kahanamoku Foundation offering scholarships

MEDIA RELEASE

The Outrigger Duke Kahanamoku Foundation (ODKF) is marking its 25th anniversary of supporting Hawaii’s water sports and volleyball athletes by announcing its latest round of college scholarships and grants.

On Feb. 18, 1986, ODKF was created with the merger of the Outrigger CanoeClub Foundation and Duke Kahanamoku Foundation to honor and perpetuate the legacy of Duke Kahanamoku through the future generations of Hawaii.

Since its formation, ODKF has awarded college scholarships and athletic grants totaling more than $1.5 million to approximately 1,150 individuals and nonprofit groups inHawaii.

In 2010, ODKF awarded $155,000 in college scholarships and athletic grants to 92 recipients, comprised of 53 college students, and 39 individuals and nonprofit groups.

“We’re proud of what ODKF has accomplished, but also working hard to continue living up to the wishes of Duke Kahanamoku in helping Hawaii’s young people excel with their education and in sports competitions,” said Patrick Shea, ODKF President. “Our mission is unique as there is no other foundation in Hawaii that supports athletes to the extent we do in water sports and volleyball. And the more that people support us with donations, the more we can support the young people of Hawaii.”

ODKF’s funding of college scholarships is diverse and provided to outstanding scholar-athletes statewide. Over the last seven years, ODKF has had twice as many women college scholarship recipients as men (225 women vs. 103 men), with 56 percent of the recipients coming from Hawaii’s public school system (183 public school students vs. 145 private school students).

Moreover, approximately 60 percent of ODKF’s college scholarship recipients have come from Oahu with the remaining 40 percent from the Neighbor Islands. ODKF is currently accepting applications for college scholarships for the 2011-2012 school year.

To qualify, applicants must meet the following criteria:

* Be a resident of Hawaii and demonstrate financial need
* Be a high school senior planning to attend college as a full-time student, or a full-time college undergraduate attending college
* Participate competitively as an amateur in water sports or volleyball
* Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0

Scholarship applications and instructions can be downloaded from ODKF’s website atwww.dukefoundation.org

The deadline for submittal is April 1, 2011.

Duke Kahanamoku is widely regarded as Hawaii’s greatest athlete, winning six Olympic medals, including three gold medals in swimming, from 1912-1932. Revered worldwide for his exploits, Duke is recognized as the “Father of International Surfing” and later in life was honored with the distinction of being named as Hawaii’s official “Ambassador of Aloha.”

ODKF is a public, nonprofit foundation whose mission is to financially support the development of individuals and organizations that perpetuate the spirit and legacy of Duke Kahanamoku.

For more information, visit www.dukefoundation.org

The Outrigger Duke Kahanamoku Foundation 2010 scholarship recipients. (Photo courtesy of Outrigger Duke Kahanamoku Foundation)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Become a fan on facebook

 

Quantcast
%d bloggers like this: