Categorized | Government, News

State changes disability placard procedures


Renewing and issuing parking placards for persons with disabilities should be more convenient under new procedures announced by the State of Hawai‘i Disability and Communication Access Board (DCAB).

The DCAB will mail reminder notices to persons whose placards are expiring in the next 30 days with new instructions for renewal by mail.

“We hope this new service to renew removable windshield placards by mail will be more convenient for people,” said Francine Wai, DCAB executive director.

The renewal by mail service is available to all placard holders statewide. Reminder notices for holders of expiring placards will contain a new application form. The completed application form verifies the disability certification by a licensed physician. The form and a copy of a picture identification card may be returned to the DCAB office in a postage paid envelope that will be sent with the renewal application.

Removable windshield placards are issued to qualified individuals with disabilities when certified by a practicing physician that they have a medical condition that restricts them from walking more than 200 feet without stopping to rest. A vehicle may park in designated accessible parking spaces when displaying a placard or license plate.

Prior to August 1, 2010, qualified persons with disabilities could receive two removable windshield placards valid for four years issued by a county agency or renewed by mail from DCAB. After August 1, 2010, changes to state law will allow only one removable windshield placard to be issued, valid for a period of six years. A person with a disability who is the registered owner of a motor vehicle may request a disabled person’s license plate in lieu of the second windshield placard at the County Department of Motor Vehicle Registration office.

Effective October 1, 2010, all renewals for a removable windshield placard will be conducted by mail. Should a County issuing office or Satellite City Hall receive an application for renewal, the application will be forwarded to the DCAB office for processing. There is no fee for a renewal of a long-term removable windshield placard.

First-time applicants must still apply in person at a County issuing office (in Hawaii County, it’s the office of the Mayor, 25 Aupuni St., #2602, Hilo, or in Kona at 75-5722 Hanama Place, #102.

The Counties will continue to issue temporary removable windshield placards and replacement placards for a fee, as is the current practice.

If you have any questions, call the County Disabled Parking Office at 961-8005. For more information visit the Disability and Communication Access Board (DCAB) website.…

For additional questions, contact William Nakamatsu at the Disability and Communication Access Board at (808) 586-8121 (v/tty) or by email at william.nakamatsu@doh.hawaii.g…

2 Responses to “State changes disability placard procedures”

  1. Cindy says:

    I currently have a disability placard and have recently gotten married. I need to change the name on my ID for my placard. How would I go about doing this?

  2. nakashima says:

    Can one renew handicap placard on line?


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Become a fan on facebook


%d bloggers like this: