Categorized | Agriculture

Farmers can apply for emergency funding; no money available


Applications currently are being accepted for the Emergency Conservation Program. ECP provides emergency funding and technical assistance to farmers and ranchers to rehabilitate farmland damaged by natural disasters. This program is for producers who require the assistance of the federal government.

If you have suffered damages to your fence line or galvanized pipeline due to the vog that occurred from March 12, 2008 to June 30, 2009, contact the Hawaii County Farm Service Agency office at 933-8341 or the Kona office at 322-2482, ext. 111 to report damages and to schedule a damage appointment to assess the extent of your damages.

A damage assessment is necessary so that the agency can view the damage, determine eligibility and estimate the cost to repair your farmland. Upon completing the assessment, officials will complete the sign-up for the Emergency Conservation Program.

The areas of consideration are from Kurtistown to South Point and up to Mana. Areas located in Hilo, Hamakua and Kohala are not eligible.

The USDA Farm Service Agency has given the Hawaii County FSA approval to accept applications for assistance; however, no funds are available at this time.

The deadline to apply for the Emergency Conservation Program is on March 2.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


%d bloggers like this: